April 7, 2011

10 Best Drake Songs ...Thus Far


10. "Congratulations" (So Far Gone ...Bonus Track) This song combines a nice sample from Coldplay's smash hit "Viva La Vida," bold lyrics, and efficient use of Auto-Tune at timely points throughout. While this is a boastful track, Drake manages to find a way to NOT sound like a pompous windbag. Mainly because he possesses more creativity than most.


HIT THE JUMP FOR THE REST OF THE LIST...




9. "November 18th" (So Far Gone) Another song that pieces many different elements together. A Biggie sample, chopped & screwed sections, and a singing/rapping combo. The song pays homage to the whole Houston rap movement, which Drake has often addressed his adoration of. (Most notably UGK, Big Moe, Lil Keke, and DJ Screw) The amazing imagery Aubrey uses at end of the track reinforces the mood of the track. A must have even the casual hip-hop fan.

8. "Find Your Love" (Thank Me Later) The second single off his debut album featured production from hip-hop mega star Kanye West, and his mentor, No I.D.. You can definitely tell the song comes from  "808's"Yeezy, and I mean that as a compliment. Add this joint to those that have drawn Drake harsh criticism from men, accusing him of "catering to the ladies" too often. Personally, I think when us men are honest with ourselves, we can connect to that vulnerability. Oh, and did I mention a catchy hook?

7. Unforgettable (Thank Me Later) Somewhat of a dreary track, yet very nostalgic. Drake combines old Aaliyah vocals with a badass Young Jeezy chorus. Turned out to be more of a dynamic combination than i originally thought.

6. Houstatlantavegas (So Far Gone) While I can't identify with the life of a stripper, I can identify with not being satisfied with certain aspects of life, and maybe feeling you had higher potential. Both situatuons which the stripper seems to be going through. Every time i listen to this song, I hope that when the girl physically wakes up, she also does so mentally and realizes how much Drake cares. Good storytelling, full of emotion, what more can you ask for?

5. City Is Mine (Property Of October) One of Drake's earlier songs, you can tell the difference in his style before he started to sound similar to Weezy. He raps fast, but switches up his flow pattern a few times, and does it seamlessly. This is his attempt at "don't fuck with my city" track, which is funny being that his city is....Toronto. All jokes aside though, there is no doubt he dismembered the track. This could've easily been a couple spots higher.

4. "Best I Ever Had (So Far Gone) Probably one of, if not THE most known Drake song to this day. This joint got so much spin from stations across the country, that I refused to listen to the radio because of it. But before I start ranting about how I despise the radio, let me just say that his first single was a smash hit. It's his ultimate female dedication track, yet pulled audiences of many different demographics.  Really catchy chorus and his singing was absolutely on point. Showed his versatility between rapper and singer. Probably why it's been downloaded over 2,000,000 times to this day.

3. "The Resistance" (Thank Me Later) I'm not going to lie, I never really listened to this song until last week, which was my loss all this time. You can feel Drake's soul pouring out of the lyrics, with him touching on different subjects such as family and relationships. In the song Drake raps: "I heard they just moved my grandmother to a nursing home / and I be acting like I don't know how to work a phone / but hit redial you see that I just called...some chick I met at the mall / that I barely know at all / plus this woman that I messed with, unprotected / texting saying that she wish she would've kept it / the one that I'm laying next to just looked over and read it / man I couldn't tell you where the fuck my head is / i'm holding on by a thread it's...." Now if you don't feel that line when you hear him spit it, you may want to check if your heart is still beating. This is just real shit. Nothing more need be said.

2. "Fear" (Single) A masterpiece by Mr. Aubrey Graham. This song should've been an original on the EP or the album, but i was just as happy to take it as a "gift to the fans." Drake pays his respect to legendary hip-hop groups Little Brother and Slum Village, as well as Jay-Z when he raps “I never cried when Pac died / but I probably will when Hov does / And if my tears hold value, then i will drop one for everything single thing he showed us..." That line caused controversy, with people accusing Drake of taking a shot at the late great 2Pac. Obviously people don't know how to listen, cause he clarified what he meant right before that line. This song is full of honesty, and gloomy depth. It will leave you craving more, thats a guarantee.

1. "The Calm" (So Far Gone) Imagine freezing time and looking at your life from the outside, reevaluating everything you have done, and all that you stand for. Drake touches on everything in this song, and does so in a way that makes you reflect on your own life. The line about his father hit me like a ton of bricks the first time I heard it. Just listen for yourself. I can't do this song justice, so i'll stop talking.

No comments:

Post a Comment